rincey

Rincey Reads

The Elegance of the Hedgehog

The Elegance of the Hedgehog - Muriel Barbery I read this book in about a day mostly because I had the time and partially because this is not an extremely difficult read. It is not a bad book, but with all the hype and amazing reviews around it, I was a little disappointed. The chapters that actually dealt with the plot line was enjoyable. I liked reading about the lives of the people who lived in that building. However, a lot of the books is spent droning on about philosophy and art in a completely unnecessary way. I guess it is supposed to give us an understanding of how intelligent our narrators are, but it just comes off as extremely pretentious.And speaking of the narrators, the 12-year-old narrator is ridiculously annoying. If I knew a 12-year-old like that, I would want to just slap her for acting as if she is so superior to the rest of the world. Apparently she doesn't realize that she is just as bad as the people she criticizes. I don't know, this book left me feeling kind of conflicted. There are parts that I really enjoyed, but there are parts where I was literally rolling my eyes.